The Early Decision process provides an opportunity for applicants to be considered for admission, prior to the review of applications during the regular application period. The deadline for Early Decision is November 1st. VCU OT must be the top choice of schools for OT education.
In order to be considered for Early Decision, the applicant must meet the following criteria (These criteria are based upon academic and testing performance using the mean scores of the applicants who accepted offers of admission to the program from the previous year). All Early Decision applicants must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree or be on track to earn a bachelor’s degree by May of the following academic year and have attained an overall grade point average of a 3.5 or above on all college course work.
- Have completed all prerequisite courses (26 credits) either prior to submission of the application November 1 or no later than the conclusion of the fall semester and achieved no less than a 3.8 grade point average on all prerequisite courses. (Students who will not complete their prerequisite courses until the end of the spring semester are not eligible for Early Decision.)
- Taken the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), received the official scores by the application deadline of November 1st and had their official scores sent to OTCAS. Early decision applicants must have GRE scores that are competitive with the mean GRE scores of the previous cohort. Scores need to be around 74thpercentile on the verbal subtest, the 51stpercentile on the quantitative subtest, and the 80th percentile on the analytical writing subtest.
- Submit the VCU Graduate Admissions online application
- Submit the OT Centralized Application Service (OTCAS) online application by November 1st.
Early Decision applications will be reviewed and acceptance offers made as early as possible. If transcripts are verified by OTCAS and prerequisites are complete offers could be made prior to December 1st. Early Decision applicants should receive notification of their status by January 15th. All communication will occur through the OTCAS e-mail system, including questions and initial admission notification. The Graduate Admissions Committee reserves the right to defer an Early Decision application to the regular admissions process, if warranted.
Applicants accepted in the Early Decision process, are expected to accept the offer of admission and enroll in the VCU EL-OTD program. The applicant is expected to withdraw any applications already made to other programs, through OTCAS or other application processes, and to notify these programs of their intention to attend VCU.