Why VCU OT?
We are often asked, what makes VCU OT unique. Here is a summary of the unique aspects of our program:
- Our doctoral practicum takes students to a level beyond Fieldwork II to make personally valued and relevant contributions of OT knowledge to the community, education and research arenas.
- A strong grounding of theory combined with clinical application occurs throughout the curriculum
- Balance of adult and pediatric content within the curriculum
- A strong bond and collegiality between the faculty and staff members that extends to relationships with our students
- Relationships with a large number of clinicians that provide lecture and practical learning opportunities, separate from Fieldwork
- The number of opportunities to work alongside persons that may be receiving OT services or who are potential clients.
- The inclusion of a very traditional OT course that teaches practical construction skills and the creation of custom adaptive equipment
- Opportunities to engage in faculty-directed research
- Faculty actively involved in research and two research labs that are housed in the OT Department.