Carole K. Ivey, PhD, OTR/L, FAOTA
Chair and Associate Professor
- Provision of special education and related services
- Interprofessional education and teamwork
- Personnel preparation, particularly in the areas of
- interdisciplinary education, teamwork, and the
- development of adaptive expertise
- Fieldwork education
2011: Ph.D. in Education, Special Education and Disability Policy, Virginia Commonwealth University
2000: M.H.S. in Occupational Therapy, University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana
1997: Maternal and Child Health Leadership Education Program in Childhood and Neurodevelopmental and Related Disabilities (MCH-LEND), Virginia Commonwealth University
1993: B.S. in Occupational Therapy, Virginia Commonwealth University
Certifications and Licensure
- Virginia Occupational Therapy License
- National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy
- Sensory Integration and Praxis Test Certification
- Ivey, C. K., Lane, S. J., & May-Benson, T. A. (2014). Inter-rater reliability and developmental norms in preschoolers for the Motor Planning Maze Assessment. In press, American Journal of Occupational Therapy.
- Lane, S. J., Ivey, C. K., & May-Benson, T. A. (2014). Test of Ideational Praxis: Preliminary findings, inter-rater and test-retest reliability in preschoolers. In press, American Journal of Occupational Therapy.
- Sicat, B. L., Kreutzer, K. O., Gary, J., Ivey, C. K., Marlowe, E. P., Pellegrini, J. M., Shuford, V. P., & Simons, D. F. (2014). A collaboration among health sciences schools to enhance faculty development in teaching. In press, American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education.
- Ivey, C. K., Shepherd, J., & Pearce, L. (2014). Snapshots of occupational therapy education, promotion, and research: Learning for all at Richmond’s children’s museum. OT Practice, 19, 14-15. doi: 10.7138/otp.2014.195f1#sthash.BZlpAkxB.dpuf
- Clark, G. F., Ivey, C. K., & Olson, L. (2013, December). Response to intervention: Occupational therapists’ personal stories. Early Intervention & School Special Interest Section Quarterly, 20(4), 1-4.
- AOTA Response to Intervention Workgroup. (2012). AOTA Practice Advisory on Occupational Therapy in Response to Intervention. Retrieved at http://www.aota.org/Practitioners-Section/Children-and-Youth/Browse/School/RtI/Practice-Advisory.aspx.
- Cahill, S., Clark, G. F., Csani, C., Ivey, C., Jackson, L., McClosky, S. M., McGuire, B., Olson, L., Polichino, J. E., & Ray, S. (February, 2012). Response to intervention: Your questions answered. OT Practice, 15, 18-20.
- Ivey, C., & Reed, E. (2011). An examination of learning formats on interdisciplinary teamwork knowledge, skills, and dispositions. Interdisciplinary Journal of Teaching and Learning, 1, 43-55.
- Principal Investigator, CMoR Research Lab, 2014-2014 VCU Service-Learning Project Award.
- Principal Investigator, CMoR Learning: Developing Interdisciplinary Partnerships for an Inclusive Learning Community, VCU Council for Community Engagement, 2014 Community Engagement Extension Grant.
- Principal Investigator, CMoR Learning: Developing Interdisciplinary Partnerships for an Inclusive Learning Community, VCU Council for Community Engagement, 2012-2013 Community Engagement Grant.
- Program Evaluator (2007-2010). MetroREADY: University-Community Partnerships to Prepare and Support Early Childhood Special Educators in Urban Inclusive Settings (H325K051115). Office of Special Education Programs, U.S. Department of Education.
Key Professional Service
- Response to Intervention Workgroup member, American Occupational Therapy Association (2011 to Present)
- Integrated Training Collaborative, member (2012 to present)
- Web Site Editor, Virginia Chapter, Division of Early Childhood (2008 to present)
- Co-Chair, Registration Packet Sub-committee, Division of Early Childhood Annual Conference (2011)
- Web Site Editor, Virginia Occupational Therapy Association (2000-2006)
- Secretary, Central Virginia Chapter, Virginia Occupational Therapy Association (1999-2000)
- Chair, Central Virginia Chapter, Pediatric Special Interest Group (1998-2001)
- Program Chair, Conference Committee, Virginia Occupational Therapy Association (1997)
- Chair, Central Virginia Chapter, Virginia Occupational Therapy Association (1996-1999)