Stacey Reynolds, PhD, OTR/L, FAOTA
Tenured Associate Professor, Occupational Therapy
Director of the Sensory Processing and Stress Evaluation (SPASE) Lab
Phone: (804) 828-2288
- Sensory processing and integration
- Neuroscience applications to occupational therapy
- Pediatric rare disorders
- Biometric measures of sleep and activity levels
- 2012: Post-Doctoral Training, Behavioral Neuroscience, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- 2007: Ph.D. in Health Sciences, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond VA
- 2001: M.S. in Occupational Therapy, Gannon University, Erie, PA
- 2000: B.S. in Health Science, Gannon University, Erie, PA
Certifications and Licensure
- Virginia Occupational Therapy License
- National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy
- Sensory Integration and Praxis Test Certification
- 2020- A. Jean Ayres Award presented by the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA)
- 2017- Fellow of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA)
- 2011- AOTA Service Commendation
- 2007- Jeannette Bair Writers Award- American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA)
Select Peer-Review Publications
- Edelstein, J., Walker, R., Middleton, A., Reistetter, T., Gary, K.W., & Reynolds, S. (in press). Higher frequency of acute occupational therapy services is associated with reduced hospital readmissions. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 76(1).
- Andelin, L., Schoen, S., & Reynolds, S. (in press). A multiple baseline design study investigating the effectiveness of occupational therapy using a sensory integration approach. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 75(6).
- McGhee, K., Kidney, E., Bouley, H.P., Pou, K., & Reynolds, S. (2021). The effectiveness of bilateral alternating tactile stimulation for improving sleep in children with sensory over-responsivity. Occupational Therapy in Health Care. Published online first at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07380577.2021.1946734
- Smiley, J. & Reynolds, S. (2021). Occupational Therapy Management of a Moderate Disease Process of COVID-19 in a Skilled Nursing Center: A Case Report. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, Supplement 1.
- Judd, N., Calhoun, H., Chu, V., & Reynolds, S. (2020). The relationship between sleep and activity level in males with Barth syndrome: A cross-sectional analysis. Journal of Rare Diseases Research & Treatment, 5(2), 24-30.
- Reynolds, S. (2020). Editorial: The State of the Journal, 2020. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 74(6).
- Reynolds, S., Tucker, M.E., Cade, W.T., Clayton, N., & Lane, S.J. (2019). Dietary Intake and Hedonic Preferences for Sodium in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults with Barth Syndrome. International Journal of Rare Diseases and Disorders, 2(1), 1-9. DOI: 10.23937/2643-4571/1710011
- Lane, S.J. & Reynolds, S. (2019). Sensory over-responsivity as an added dimension in ADHD. Frontiers in Integrative Neuroscience, 13(40). doi: 10.3389/fnint.2019.00040
- Reynolds, S. & Tucker, M.E. (2019). A multi-faceted approach to enhance pill-swallowing ability in children and adults with Barth Syndrome. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 73(4). doi:10.5014/ajot.2019.033134
- Reynolds, S., Burgess, M.E., Hymowitz, N., Snyder, D., & Lane, S.J. (2017). Fungiform papillae number and olfactory threshold assessment in males with and without Barth syndrome. Chemosensory Perception, 10(3), 60-68. DOI 10.1007/s12078-017-9228-4
- DeBoth, K.K. & Reynolds, S. (2017). A systematic review of sensory-based subtyping in autism spectrum disorders. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 36, 44-56. Doi: 10.1016/j.rasd.2017.01.005
- Roman Oyola, R., Reynolds, S. et al. (2017). Child’s sensory profile and adult’s playfulness as predictors of parental self-efficacy. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 71(2), 7102220010p1-7102220010p8. doi:10.5014/ajot.2017.021097.
- Reynolds, S., Glennon, T., Ausderau, K., Bendixen, R.B., Miller-Kuhaneck, H., Pfeiffer, B… Bodison, S. et al. (2017). Issue Is: supporting children with differences in sensory processing and integration through occupational. therapy. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 71(2), 7102360010p1- doi:10.5014/ajot.2017.019281
- Reynolds, S., Pfeiffer, B., & Miller-Kuhanek, H. (2016). Effectiveness of Frequency Modulation (FM) to Improve Academic Performance in Children with Auditory Processing Difficulties: A Systematic Review. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 70(1). doi: 10.5014/ajot.2016.016832.
- Reynolds, S. (2015). Successful management of Barth syndrome: A systematic review highlighting the importance of a flexible and multidisciplinary approach. Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare, 8, 1-14. doi: 2147/JMDH.S54802
- Reynolds, S., Kreider, C., Meeley, L.E., & Bendixen, R. (2015). Taste perception and sensory sensitivity: Relationship to feeding problems in boys with Barth Syndrome. Journal of Rare Disorders, 3(1), 1-9.
- Reynolds, S., Lane, S.J., & Mullen, B. (2015) Effects of deep pressure stimulation on performance and physiological arousal: A pilot study of the Vayu Vest. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 69(3).
Select Clinical Publications
- Belongia, G. & Reynolds, S. (2021, August). Your Driver is on the Way: Increasing Confidence and Safety Using Rideshare to Expand Community Access for Adults with ASD. OT Practice
- Caracci, H., Laverdure, P., & Reynolds, S. (2020). Optimizing creativity for innovative practice: Implications for value-based reimbursement. OT Practice, 25(1), 20-24.
- Kidney, E., McGee, K., & Reynolds, S. (2020). OT’s role in addressing sleep in children. OT Practice, 25(1), 25-27.
- Caracci, H. & Reynolds, S. (2019). Using an intensive-dosing model of sensory integration in outpatient pediatric settings: How and why to change practice based on evidence. SensorNet
- Caracci, H., Reynolds, S., & Ivey, C. (2018). Clinical reasoning for pediatric occupational therapy dosage decision making. OT Practice.
- Reynolds, S. & Andelin, L. (2018). Supporting Children with Sensory Processing Differences and their Families. OT Practice, 23(12). 10-15. (Feature)
- Reynolds, S. & Burgess, M.E. (2016). First-Ever Pill-Swallowing Clinic a Success at Barth Syndrome 2016 Conference. Barth Syndrome Journal, 16(2), 10.
- Burgess, M.E. & Reynolds, S. (2016). Pill Swallowing Tip Sheet.
- Deboth, K.K., Lane, S.J, & Reynolds, S. (2016). Innovative uses of physiological measures in sensory processing research and practice. SIS Quarterly Practice Connections, 1(1), 7-9
- Deboth, K.K., Benevides, T., Lane, S.J. & Reynolds, S. (2015). Using Physiological Measurements in Sensory Processing and Integration Research. Sensory Integration Special Interest Section Quarterly Newsletter, 11, 1-4.
- Lane, S.J., Mailloux, Z., Reynolds, S., & Smith Roley, S. (2015). Patterns of sensory integration dysfunction in specific populations: Evidence based identification. OT Practice (Continuing Education Article).
- Burgess, M.E. & Reynolds, S. (2015). Decoding Mealtime Stresses: Feeding and Eating Behaviors in Boys with Barth. Barth Syndrome Journal, 15(1), 9-10.
- Reynolds, S. & Pou, K. (in press). Article Summary for “A Randomized Controlled Pilot Study of the Effectiveness of Occupational Therapy for Children with Sensory Modulation Disorder” in Pyatak’s (Ed) 50 Articles Every Occupational Therapist Should Know.
- Lane, S.J. & Reynolds, S. (2019). Sensory Discrimination. In Bundy, A., Lane, S.J., Mulligan, S., & Reynolds, S. (Eds) Sensory Integration Theory and Practice, 3rd FA Davis: Philadelphia, PA
- Schoen, S., Lane, S.J., Miller, L.J, & Reynolds, S. (2019). Research in Sensory Integration and Processing. In Bundy, A., Lane, S.J., Mulligan, S., & Reynolds, S. (Eds) Sensory Integration Theory and Practice, 3rd FA Davis, Philadelphia, PA.
- Reynolds, S. (2018). Occupational Therapy Intervention for Individuals with ASD: Promoting Rest and Sleep. In Watling, R. & Spitzer, S. (Eds) Autism: A Comprehensive Occupational Therapy Approach, 3rd Edition. AOTA Press.
- Lane, S.J. & Reynolds, S. (2015). Sensory Disorders. In Encyclopedia of theory in Psychology.
- Lane, S.J. & Reynolds, S. (2014). Sensory Modulation. In Paris, B. & Murray Slutsky, C. (Eds.) Exploring the Spectrum of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders – Intervention Strategies. Hammill Institute on Disabilities Publishers.