Fieldwork educator resources
The Virginia Occupational Therapy Fieldwork Council is a community of occupational therapy practitioners, fieldwork educators, academic faculty and scholars who collaborate to enhance the opportunities and the quality of clinical education of future practitioners throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The organization strives to:
- Provide participants with educational opportunities to advance their knowledge, abilities and skills in clinical education.
- Build academic and clinical partnerships that strengthen and expand fieldwork opportunities.
- Respond with agility to evolving trends in clinical practice, academic instruction and clinical education.
The Council is supported by the fifteen-member occupational therapy programs across the Commonwealth and co-coordinated by Patty Laverdure, VCU, and Lauren Carter Smith, Bon Secours Hospital. An array of resources for the professional developmentof fieldwork educators are archived and available on the link below. Web links, articles and book references address communication, supervision, and evaluation.
- Standard Operating Procedures for the VOTFWC
- Self-Assessment For Fieldwork Educators (SAFEcom)
How are your supervision skills? Are there areas you need to work on? Take this self-assessment tool and reflect on your skills. You can earn 1 PDU for NBCOT recertification by taking this self-assessment.
American Occupational Therapy Association. (2009). Self-Assessment Tool for Fieldwork Educator Competency.
- AOTA Fieldwork Educator Regional Certificate Workshops. These workshops are offered nationally and currently VCU Director of Fieldwork, Jayne Shepherd and the occupational therapy manager of Sheltering Arms Physical Rehabilitation Centers, Lauren Carter Smith are trainers for this AOTA course. If you are interested in sponsoring a course in your area, please contact Jayne at Jshepherd@vcu.edu.
- AOTA: The Value and Purpose of Fieldwork Education (2009)
- HIPAA Guidelines for Fieldwork
- Excellence in Fieldwork
- Fieldwork Forms
- Understanding the OT/OTA Fieldwork Performance Evaluation
- Supervision in Fieldwork
- Books, articles and other online resources about fieldwork education
- Many resources are also available from AOTA and other vendors. Some of these books are available at VCU for FW supervisors to borrow.
- Electronic Resource List for Fieldwork Educators
- Professional Development Credits (PDU) for NBCOT
Virginia Type 2 Continuing Education Units
The supervision of occupational therapy students is a type 2 continuing education activity that can be used toward Virginia license renewal with the Department of Health Professions, Virginia Board of Medicine. Each hour of supervision is equal to one hour of Type 2 Activity and practitioners can include up to ten hours each renewal cycle.
National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy Professional Development Units
The NBCOT identifies fieldwork supervision as a professional development activity that may be used towards recertification. One Professional Development Unit per FW I student and 1 unit per 1 week of Fieldwork II supervision is awarded. Clinicians are able to collect a maximum of 18 units over a 3 year period for Fieldwork Supervision.